Originally Posted By: StigOE
I don't know anything about compliance testing, but do eval boards need to be compliance tested? What about all the various Arduinos of the world, are they all tested and certified? I kind of doubt it. What's the difference between them and Raspberry Pi?

It depends how blurry your spectacles are.

I believe that Arduino and such like get away without certification because they're sold as development systems, which is true, without you putting your code on it and connecting up your own electronics (or other boards) it doesn't do anything, it's up to you to provide the magic.

Raspberry pi on the other hand have a full system which I think they'd have a hard time convincing anybody that it's a development board, especially considering that they've gone out of the way to show that it runs a consumer media player distro and hooks up to your tv - and without restricting sale to developers (how do you even do such a thing) and making a huge batch, they really should have realised that this was going to be an issue.

Of course, they could still just say it's a development board and ship them, but I think they put themselves in a very grey area legally, especially if the thing doesnt even pass the radiated emissions tests.