Originally Posted By: tfabris
My guess is that there is more than one ID3V2 tag in the file, and that MP3Tag is writing additional tags to the file but not removing the old one.

This is indeed what's going on. The file appears to be laid out like this at a binary level:

- ID3V2 Tag, using double-byte character set.
- (I Think) a JPEG image of the album art embedded as part of the ID3V2 tag at the beginning of the file.
- A section of "00 00 00 00" bytes.
- Another ID3V2 Tag, using single-byte character set.
- (I Think) a second JPEG album cover image, this one with the text tag "Added by MuvUnder Cover".
- MP3 audio data for the the rest of the file.
- An ordinary ID3V1 tag appended to the end.

View the file in a binary editor and you can see all of the above, clear as day.

This file has been tagged by more than one tagging program, and the second program didn't recognize the first program's tag, and didn't handle it properly. So you've got two ID3V2 tags. Your tagger is writing one tag, and Emplode is reading another tag that the tagger is ignoring.

This could be because the first program wrote a poor tag with something nonstandard about the header, or something like that. Or it could be because the second program was written poorly and didn't interpret the first program's perfectly-valid tag correctly. I have no way of telling which of those things it was. But if it were me, I'd throw both of them out just to be sure. smile

See if MP3 Tag Studio handles it correctly and fixes up the tags so that you have only one in the file. If not, this program might be able to strip out all the tags from a group of files and let you start over from scratch.

Personally, I carefully standardize the filenames of all my MP3 files, so that they are named in a standard and unchanging way, with each field such as artist and track number being always in the same place, just in case I have to do something like that. Then, even if the files have no tags (or I am forced to erase their tags), I can do a filenames-to-tags pass with MP3 Tag Studio and then they're all retagged correctly.