Naw, with no options left, I bit the bullet and just went forward with 4.0 and said goodbye to the backups.

Interestingly, I'm missing at least one app, which was working on the phone hours before this crash. The app was called "HeyWhat'sThat" and it would take your location, then plot a panoramic graphic of all the nearby mountain peaks on the horizon and name each mountain. It's gone from the app store and now gone from the phone. I *think* all my other apps are still there though. Maybe I'll find more missing ones later.

All my contacts, mail, and calendar stuff is externally synched, so once I set that all up again, it Just Worked and everything was OK in that department.

Aside from that, the only stuff I lost in the crash was part of my photo library, which I can restore if I feel like it. And a lot of settings and configurations, especially those within the apps themselves, such as my "favorites" in the TomTom navigation app, my game progress in a few of the games, and downloadable content for some of the games. All of that stuff is completely gone. I'm not sure what else I'm missing, I guess I'll discover it as time goes on.

So, with that all said, I'm extremely happy with the 4.0 iPhone software now. The new features made all this hassle worth it:
- Folders for your apps, instead of seven screens of apps.
- Threaded mail.
- Easier setup for Google Calendar synch, and more reliable calendar synch.
- An icon showing when the GPS chip is active.

So, in the end, it's all good.