I'm not saying you're wrong about any of that, I'm sure it's all true for you, but I just haven't had the same experience you did.

The one thing you said that I do wonder about is when you said "The fact that when I ask it to power off it gives me extra dialogs..." Do you mean when it asks if you want to go into airplane mode or power off? That only happens when you hold down the power button. You're supposed to be able to just tap it to put it into standby. I will admit, however, that occasionally when I tap that, the phone doesn't go off like I asked. Another tap usually takes care of it.

So yeah, I think Android has a ways to go. It's only been about 15 months since the first product, after all. But I think it will improve, and I don't know how you can project where the OS is headed.

Don't get me wrong, I have small complaints about the Android experience. For example, I have two GMail complaints. The small one is that I can't seem to tell what time a message was sent. That's annoying. The big issue is that I can't choose different addresses for the "from" field like I can in GMail. I'd like it to be able to pull down my other accounts.

But neither of these are deal breakers. The phone didn't appeal to you, and that's fine. For me, it's a perfect fit, and there is simply no way for the iPhone to fit my use case better. And that's primarily because no other phone out there can do GMail better. That's not the only reason I like Android, but it's the one thing that makes it impossible for me to switch to another platform.