Replies in the spoiler.
Click to reveal..

Originally Posted By: DWallach
1. Our helicopter pilot girl apparently went undisciplined in any way. I don't buy it, and the plot hinges significantly on her actions.

This does seem odd now that I think about it more. Makes me wonder if there was a missing scene explaining this.

2. We're then asked to believe that there's a particular area where radio communications and whatnot don't work.

Radio seemed to work fine in the area. The flux just seemed to interfere with navigation equipment. Radio use in the area is seen a few times, like when the avatar Norm is riding on top of the remote research module when it was being moved, and also when the Colonel was advising the marines to "keep their heads on a swivel".

2a. Where are the nukes?

Only thing I can think of here is that they didn't bring any. The spirit trees exact importance wasn't known till Jake found out. Being that the mission was to mine the planet for resources and defend the miners, nukes probably wouldn't have been on the standard shipping list. Getting nukes would take another few years. (I can't remember the exact travel time they said in the movie, but apparently the planet was in Alpha Centauri, 4.37 light years away.

3. Where's the AI?

My only guess here is that James Cameron was wanting the sci-fi tech level feel more like Aliens and less like Terminator.

4. So, like, the whole planet is sentient? Wouldn't that end up looking a whole lot more like the Borg?

The borg seem to be one large sentient mind with a shared link between all drones, where here the animals/people had no direct link to the planet or each other at all times. Though that does raise another question, how did the planet wrangle all the wildlife to attack at the end?

And what sort of evolutionary process would yield cross-species compatible network jacks?

Good question. Only thing I can come up with here is that the linking pieces are like an organ shared among species. All mammals for example share very similar biology while being very distinct creatures. Overall, I did like the use of it, and had noticed the warriors using it to link to their horses before the movie really brought it up.

5. Unobtanium? At least they're honest that it's just a thinly veiled plot device.

It's actually a pretty commonly used word, and seemed to fit the material in question.