Quote:
but it's a warmer

I've struggled with this phrase ever since the inception of the CD, on winter nights, I sit in my muffler, cardigan and overcoat with my hands outstretched towards the speakers, trying to take advantage of the warmth!
But, that apart, I really have been unable to detect this warmth, any more than the coldness of C.D.s, even if I could, I'm sure that I could replcate it with a graphic equalizer. And now, in the MP3 age, I would count the benefit of going to any corner of my collection in seconds, when it suits me, having amassed nine weeks of music, as crucial.
Also I replace many of my L.P.s like for like with the corresponding CD, because the advances in digital recovery technology, particularly with the older blues artists, make hearing people like Ma Rainey, whose recordings all seemed to be in a particularly parlous state, a new and enthralling experience, cutting away the years.
I admit to missing L.P. artwork, that 12' x 12" opportunity for creativity, and I get really hacked off when I replace a vinyl copy with a CD and find that all that they've done is reduce the artwork to fit the jewel box and it's unreadable.