Yes, that particular "movement" was in my mind as I wrote some of those comments. How people have abused that prayer (and book) is one of the glaring offences of what I’ve been talking about.

As a defense to Wilkinson, the book was written based off a sermon of a well-respected professor at Dallas Theological Seminary after he passed away. It was a single sermon taken from that passage, and in context it (apparently) was very insightful, if not quite the all-encompassing theological powerhouse people came to regard it as. I never read it, as it quickly became obvious to me that the whole thing had gotten out of hand. I have been assured by someone who knew the original professor well, that he never had any intention of people reciting the Prayer of Jabez over and over again in expectation that God would "increase their territory". I don’t think that Wilkinson’s intention was to have the book be regarded as it was, though I understand he did get kind of swept up in the whole movement. Most of it, though, seemed to be about people finding something to latch onto and reading into it what they wanted.

One insightful, if somewhat tacky, response to this book was Hank Hannegraf's The Prayer of Jesus, that looks very similar, but is rather a more reasonable exploration of "The Lord's Prayer". Since it is Jesus’ response to the question “how shall we pray?” that does make a pretty obvious choice for a book on prayer. I like the concept, though the marketing of directly competing it against the Jabez book turned me off- I haven’t read that one either.