Quote:
Second, it's a lot easier to change a database than an application. That sounds like an argument to keep it in the database, but it's not, as I believe that will lead to improperly tested changes.
You have no idea how funny, in a sad sort of way, this statement is to me. My boss, who seems to be the self appointed advocate for all things sql, goes around giving lip service to SDLC, making sure that all of our code is well documented before it is released/changed (as it should be), but makes changes to the database code without even having any sort of design doc at all. She is also very suprised when her code breaks.

Of course her development is faster with SQL than any of the application developers are- it's easy to write fast, poor code without adhering to the SDLC.

Can you tell I'm bitter about this?

As to your first point- I seriously doubt we'd move to Oracle. However, our one true "SQL Developer", who is my boss's hire, uses your same logic to argue against putting BL in the database.