Quote:
Good article, and it addresses concerns I've had about a movie version. It will certainly be difficult not having a lot of time to develop charactes, which is the best part of the show. On the other hand, putting the show, as it was, on the big screen would make for a very odd movie, IMO.

Anyway, it'll be weird to be introduced to the characters again...

I saw the final cut at the San Deigo Comic-con back in July. Striking the balance between TV fans and movie newbies is challenging, but I think Whedon did a very, very good job. (Obviously others will have different opinions.)

It's the kind of movie where stuff isn't handed to the audience and there's a fair amount of setup that's done visually. So if one is looking to have everything said and told, it will be easy to get lost. On the other hand, if one were to focus on the movie -- not having a conversation or messing around with a cellphone -- there won't be any problems. I do think there will be a number of girlfriend to boyfriend conversations like, "what does that mean?" The tropes of the genre aren't explicitly explained like spaceship, pilot, engineer, captain. But it is all there on the screen if you're watching and listening.

As far as introducing characters, there's no warming up, it's hit the ground at full speed. By the end of the first act, you've seen everybody and everything imporant and how they interact. No introductions, but everyone is behaving as their dominant, defining ways.

So overall, I think it's balanced just slightly in favor of existing fans, but, ya know, within the margin of error.

I loved it, it was a bigger and better than any single episode of the show, and it =didn't= feel like a two hour episode like the last Highlander movie or the last few Star Trek movies.

--Nathan