My old laptop ran 2k and I never managed to make it suspend or hibernate with it coming back up unuseable which would then require a reboot. My new laptop has XP Pro and those features worked first time and still give me a usable system afterwards.

That exactly matches with my experience using an Nec Versa LX. The wonderful thing is that it has a sticker on it proudly stating "Designed for Window NT 4.0"...

I only had to buy my new Dell D600 laptop to replace the Nec because I ruined the keyboard and trackpad with a glass of champagne (don't ask). Put 512MB of ram into a PII366 Nec laptop and it is fast enough for most of the things I do. That said I'm enjoying the extra speed of 1.4Ghz and 1GB ram in Photoshop

My Nec is going to be turned into a "digital photoframe", I'll permanently disable the processor fan, rip most of the casing off, add some more heatsinks, replace the hard disk with compact flash and build a nice wood frame/box for it. Just need to decide whether it will run WinXP/2k or Linux (probably Windows, so I can write the photo display code in .Net).