I honestly had no idea about the level of community when I recommended to my mother that she buy the Karma for her husband. (He is a FLAC fan) How fortunate for me that he didn't think he would use it. Instead I got totally spoiled. I'm not arguing.

I'm curious to know how the development team from empeg relates to the current group - is there still a group based in Cambridge? It seems as though some of the development carried over as the company/division/technology was sold - how much carried over? Who is who?

What have I missed by never scraping together the cash for a car unit?

In reply to:

Did you upgrade to the latest firmware on the Karma?

I was so eager to fool with jEmplode that did not bump up to 1.41. I wasn't trying to report a bug, just relate a general user experience.

In reply to:

It's worth noting that while you can create a "smart playlist" on the device, it won't continue to update after your first sync

Argh. Dang it, I was hoping that this fell into the "undocumented feature" category. "Smart playlist" is the Apple term - if "soup" is the empeg/Rio term I would be happy using that.

In reply to:

Karma support within jEmplode is even more beta

I don't mind a little duct-tape and baling wire.

In reply to:

I would definitely make sure you have the latest Karma firmware if you're having problems with lockups.

Will do! I just found out about the US release yesterday, so I hadn't gotten around to it yet. Yesterday was a real voyage of discovery...

In reply to:

I just uploaded a new version of jEmplode to the site that has a workaround for supporting dynamic soups on the Karma.

Excellent! Thank you! I will upgrade tonight, after I do the firmware.

I'm curious as to what functionality is carried over to the Karma, and what functionality was there for the empeg in the first place. Is there documentation beyond the faq? jEmplode seems to have a very different structure from RMM. (I haven't tried RMML - should I?)

Is jEmplode designed to sync a subset of one's collection to a portable device, or is it intended to sync every file or directory at which it is pointed? Can I specify via a soup what stays on my Karma?

Is there a rating tag already? Does editing the advanced properties of a song and adding a rating tag mean that tag will be permanently associated with that song, or is that metadata only within jEmplode and/or the device? Does that feature work with the Karma? Would at least the app remember that information for soup purposes?

If you haven't guessed, getting ratings and soups to work seamlessly is fairly important to me. I'm sure you understand that when one gets over a certain number of songs it becomes difficult to find what you're looking for, especially when you aren't sure what you're looking for. In iTunes I had a playlist of my top rated songs which I hadn't listened to in two weeks, which is really nice for unattended listening.

Anyway, thanks again for the quick responses. This is pretty darn cool.