I have in my possession 3 large WAV files recorded from a live show that my friend's band played a couple months ago. The sound quality is very good (right off the soundboard) but there's a high pitched hiss throughout, probably the result of some electromagnetic noise of some type. It's not tape hiss, as the show was recorded via line-in from the soundboard right into SoundForge.

I'd like to remove the noise. I can obviously try to isolate the frequencies and EQ them out, but I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water. I only gave it a quick shot this morning, and I was finding that with Sound Forge's normal EQ functions, it was tough to strike a balance between filtering out the noise and cutting out too much of the crispness of the drum and vocal sounds.

I was wondering if there are any plugins for SoundForge (or any other standalone programs) that might help me out with this? I do have a short clip of *just* the noise with no other sounds playing... Is there a program out there that can analyze the "noise" part and do some quasi-intelligent filtering of the noise based on that sample? Or maybe some kind of more advanced noise filtering technique I'm not aware of? If I have to just do it with EQ, I think I can dial it in to minimize the impact on the sound, but the noise doesn't seem to be isolated into a very narrow EQ range. Anyone ever had to tackle this problem before?