My wife and son are out of town, so I jaunted by our new Blockbuster last night. I picked our a few games for my PS2 and a couple of movies. I filled out my phenomenally intrusive membership application with the names of my last three pets and their breed's scientific name. I waited for a few moments in line. Upon seeing my phone number, the employee recited a speech about how she had to have a physical phone number and that my cell phone number would not work. So I asked politely if she was telling me that I had to get a phone before I could rent movies and she said yes. Amazing who would think that a 35 inch television, sony reciever with surrond, and a brand new dvd player won't work without Southwestern Bell!

Before this looks like a rant, check this out...
1. Blockbuster doesn't verify phone numbers so I could have given them their own and probably been fine.
2. In larger areas, unless the employee had the same cell phone prefix that I do she never would have noticed the fact that it was cell phone number and I would have been fine.
3. I offered a work number...no go.
4. And to top it off, she went and asked her manager about it, which makes me think there's a way around it in the system but the manager couldn't be bothered to come and over ride the system.

phew...... I feel better now. Thanks.

By the way, my wife and I both carry cell phones which made a land line unnecessary. Hurray for the sounds of progress.