Hugo, I read it on the internet so it's gotta be true. Looking into it more, it seems it is just USB 1.x for at least "some" units and rumors of 2.0 for newer models? (The new Sony was rumored to have 2.0 jacks, but the Sony site just says "usb"). That would make external drives too slow I'd think, but internet application would still be possibile? Thanks for pointing that out.

On a side note, I just talked my brother-in-law (a fellow empeg owner) into buying the RePlay. I ended up getting a Tivo only because I can get one with a built in DirecTV tuner that records the mpeg2 stream right from the dish - no additional compression generation. I imagine that DirecTV has an exclusive contract with Tivo (but they offer Ultimate TV too, so maybe not?) but does anyone know if RePlay has a contract with any content providers - cable or satellite?

EDIT: More confusion. If I'm right, there is only one Tivo employee who checks these forums... it's scarey how one panic post can lead to another with this group. I saw one post mentioning how Hughes didn't make use of the usb ports yet turn into a thread where everyone thought Hughes was out to get them and dozens of people cancelled their orders. I'm SO SO thankful that we have some SonicBlue employees (and others who are in the know - Mark, Tony, etc) who keep us in line.

Edited by SE_Sport_Driver (31/12/2002 04:02)