Does anyone

I guess that would mean me, eh?

have a 'launcher for dummies' checklist that I can run through, with location and order of necessary files and scripts and config.ini settings?

Aside from the README file? No.

Launcher is just another hijack app. It installs in the exact same way that all the other programs you've installed did.

The only significant difference is that you have to create a section in the config.ini file. See the README for an example of that. There's even a pretty ascii picture...

As for necessary files, they should be documented in the README, under the FILES section. If I missed anything, or could make it more clear, let me know. All you need is launcher, config.ini, and the preinit.d script to start launcher automatically. viewer if you want to use it. None of the rest of the files in the distribution need to be on your empeg. If you're using launcher, then you'll also probably want to remove the other preinit.d scripts (except for the ones that mount drives, and start launcher and maybe telnetd, of course).

Word of warning about the N02telnetd script -- it expects to find telnetd in the $PATH. If telnetd is launched with a fullpath, then my sed wizardry will break, and you won't be able to use the script to start/stop telnetd.

And finally, once you get launcher working, and you think it's not running an app, check to make sure the app you ran didn't just bind to the hijack menu. empacman does this, since it hasn't been modified to work with launcher.

Hope that helps.